Just as a house depends on solid foundations, establishing a good writing environment forms an important base for your development as an authorpreneur. Although literary circles abound with accounts of people writing best selling works in libraries, coffee shops and cafes, it is preferable to set yourself up in a more permanent, less nomadic environment.
You may be fortunate enough to be able to work from home and have the luxury of setting aside a room for this purpose. Alternatively, finances permitting, you might even want to rent some office space. The smell of fresh coffee aside – the aim of your workspace should be to create an environment where you can carry out research, organize your work and yourself, and most importantly let the creative juices flow.
As an authorpreneur your workspace is both your office and your business. You will need to plan for all the administrative and production work as well as publication itself. Keeping this in mind will help when devising the best space for your needs and your budget. Here are a few things to consider:
- A good chair will probably be one of your best investments. Don’t skimp! You are likely to spend a lot of time in it.
- The size of your desk will depend not only on the space you have available but also how you intend to utilize it. It will need to be more than just the base for a laptop. Think of your needs and plan accordingly. Some writers favour two desks; one just for writing and one for everything else.
- Plentiful natural light is great but you will also need good desk lamps as well as suitable overhead lighting.
- Filing cabinets, bookshelves, corkboards and whiteboards are also useful additions to your business office.
- Think about what inspires you and have reminders in easy view.
- Think about what distracts you and work round that so that you spend more of your day productively.
- If you are working from home separate your working environment from your living one.
- Keep it simple.
So whether your niche is a hip downtown Toronto location or a rustic retreat in cottage country remember that the best workspaces, regardless of size or style, are able to motivate, inspire and successfully support a business. Make sure yours does too.
[vc_separator type=’full_width’ position=’center’ color=’#e6e6e6′ border_style=” thickness=’2′ up=’10’ down=’10’]